Austin’s Greater Garage Doors
New Garage Door? Don’t Make These 5 Mistakes
Are you ready to finally bite the bullet and purchase a new garage door? Well, before you schedule that garage door service, make sure you’re not making one of the top 5 mistakes that homeowners make when it comes to the biggest door to their house!
We’ve got the information that you need to choose the best garage door and maintain it for years to come.
Mistake #1: Choosing a Garage Door Before Doing Your Research
Many homeowners think all garage doors are the same, but that couldn’t be further from the truth! Garage doors come in a variety of sizes, styles, and functionalities, so before you order a door for your house, think about the look you’re going for and how you plan to use your garage.
Things to consider when choosing the right door for your home include:
- Your house’s architectural style. Cottage, traditional, Tudor? There’s a door to match.
- How do you want your door to open — slide to the side, swing out, or roll up?
- Do you need space for multiple cars or just one?
- What’s your budget? There are cost-savvy options as well as fully-loaded ones!
“While there is certainly a garage door for every budget, money shouldn’t be the only determining factor when it comes to choosing your new garage door.”
Mistake #2: Focusing Only on Budget and the Picking the Cheapest Option
While there is certainly a garage door for every budget, money shouldn’t be the only determining factor when it comes to choosing your new garage door. Remember, the biggest door to your house should be seen as the investment that it is and you’ll ultimately get what you pay for.
Read through reviews and do your research so you can rest assured that your money is being put to its best use and that you’re getting the best door for your dollar.
Things to keep in mind along with your budget:
- Your home’s curb appeal: cheap doors often look cheap.
- Lower budget doors typically skimp on the most popular features.
- Higher price tags don’t always mean better products.
Mistake #3: Not Getting the Right Materials for Your Install
Whether you’re installing your new garage door yourself or hiring someone else, you may be purchasing the materials yourself to save on costs. If so, it’s crucial that you get all of the parts needed for your installation and that you’re not cutting costs where you shouldn’t be. The best way to determine what’s needed is to thoroughly read the manufacturer’s spec sheet. It should list what hardware fasteners, tools, and tracks you’ll need.
Bare minimum materials needed:
- Garage door (it should go without saying, but you never know!)
- Garage door opener
- Appropriate garage door trim for your door model
- Garage door rollers
- Fasteners (lag screws are the best)
- NEW track system (don’t save pennies on this one)
- Cordless drill
- Socket Set
Mistake #4: Going the DIY Route When You’re Far From Handy
We can all appreciate the notion of wanting to save money by DIY-ing your garage door installation. However, if you have trouble changing a light bulb or hanging a picture frame without causing damage to your house or yourself, this may not be the project for you.
Installing a garage door can be tricky simply due to the sheer size and complexity of the door, there’s no shame in calling for an expert.
If you’re considering hiring a garage door service for your installation, here are some things to consider:
- Hire a reputable company with multiple positive reviews.
- Ask for their total garage door replacement cost.
- Clarify where you want your wall-mounted garage door opener.
- Ask for their current lead time.
Mistake #5: Failing to Perform Ongoing Regular Maintenance
Once your garage door has been installed, protect your investment by having regular maintenance performed. A simple checklist can be reviewed annually either by yourself or a professional. This routine will make sure that your garage door lasts for years and that you avoid costly repairs.
Preventive maintenance checklist:
- Tighten your hardware
- Test your garage door balance
- Replace rollers and weatherstripping when needed
- Check cables for wear and tear
Looking for the Best Garage Door Service Near You?
If you’re in Austin, the good news is that we’ve got your back if you’re in the market for a new garage door, as well as a trusted service provider for installation and future maintenance.
Austin’s Greater Garage Doors has been providing reliable garage services to our communities for years and would love for you to be our next happy customer. If you’re outside of the Austin area, keep this list handy when interviewing garage door companies in your area and you’ll be on the right track!